Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Monitoring My GAME Plan

 Putting a plan into action is easier said than done. Though it is easy to sit and brainstorm and consider, it is much more difficult to carry out that plan and do it well. As I begin to put my plan into action, there are some things that have gone well, perhaps even better than expected, and other areas that have not gone as planned.

 When I began to set goals for myself, the first part that I realized was that I needed to become more of an expert in choice boards and cross-curricular planning and projects. One of the resources that I have found for myself is a book called "Teaching Beyond the Test: Differentiated Project-Based Learning in a Standards-Based Age." Though I am still waiting for this resource to arrive, I feel slightly more confident knowing that I will have a research-based resource to help me if I need suggestions in either the process or product. I have spoken with a few other teachers about beginning a cross-curricular activity. The one that I am going to begin is with the math teacher. Coincidentally, and luckily, my students have been invited to participate in a program called "Sounds of Learning." This is a partnership between my school district and the Philadelphia Opera Company which is trying to make a connection between literacy and the arts. While we are preparing to go to this opera next month, there are several activities that we'll be completing to feel ready. One activity that we are going to do as a cross-curricular activity with math is plan our own opera. The company has provided us with estimates for the various components of an opera budget. The math teacher will be working on the budgeting portion, and I will be working on teaching about the importance of the various components. This way, students understand the decision to use an unknown singer will be more likely to decrease their profits, and so on. I feel rather confident currently that I am gaining all of the information and resources that I need. However, I am also paying attention to what might not be as easy in the future. For example, this cross-curricular project came at such a perfect time. If I plan on making this something I would like to do going forward, my team (other subjects) and I need to be more aware of each other's curricula. That way, we are able to communicate and create ideas together rather than crossing our fingers that it all works out.

 Another cross-curricular activity I might try after the opera is to have my eighth graders plan and execute a K-2 lesson. On Dr. Seuss' birthday, the reading curriculum coordinator had eighth grade students complete a prepared lesson in each of these classrooms. The eighth graders, essentially, became the teachers. While both sets of students loved it, I thought it would be wonderful if these same students were given the opportunity to choose their own lesson, create, plan, and execute it. Students would be assessed not on the lesson and its' success but more on the mastery of the content from my classroom (for example, understanding theme or main idea).

 Based on what I have learned so far, there are some small modifications that need to be made. One of the biggest problems that I am guilty of during these types of projects is not making the connection between my content objectives and the work we are doing (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). Therefore, in order to keep my on track and check my students' understanding of this connection, I am going to have them complete a daily reflection or check-in at the end of the class period. This will simply involve a question about the objective or the day and how or if the student feels that objective was reached through the lesson and/or the product created. Furthermore, I need to make it an additional goal to create and maintain and fair and equitable scoring system. When using choices (we have not worked our way up to an entire Choice Board yet), I often feel as though certain products are more difficult than others and wind up being slightly more lenient with the scoring. I am struggling in two ways here: how do I determine whether all of the options are equal (or at least fair)? Secondly, I understand that I need a general rubric, but it also needs to remain fair and consistent. How do I make my brain take the product at face value?

 Some of the other realizations that I have come to is the old adage that time flies when you're having fun! I assumed planning would be simple and quick. Boy, was I wrong. I need to keep the math teacher up-to-date with what I am teaching so that he knows and understands the content as well as the students. He needs to do it for me as well. We also need to address the needs of any students who are going to struggle throughout the project. Since we both have infants to pick up at the end of the day (and mornings are a joke for me!), we have taken to using iChat once or twice a week as needed. We both have Macs, so it is amazing to be able to talk in real time to plan without having to be in school! This way, we can share an visual aids, and it goes by much quicker than emailing. Also, I am noticing that my students are extremely engaged. I am not sure whether it is because we are delving into this odd world of opera that they had never even considered, they finally have a say in what they are producing, or if they are amazed by this cross-curricular idea, but that are into it! It's nice to see students disappointed to leave your classroom.

 There are also some new questions that have arisen since beginning my GAME plan. It's interesting no matter how much you anticipate the details of something, things that you never consider come up. I have two major questions/concerns. The first one is regarding engagement and learning. My students are definitely becoming more engaged in the classroom, even though we are just beginning. However, just because they are more engaged, it does not mean that they are gaining the necessary knowledge. My question, which will be answered in time, is are students gaining the intended content and knowledge through these activities? My original GAME plan has checkpoints and assessments built in to check whether or not students are learning, but of course, whenever I do anything new in the classroom, I always question whether or not my intent is being understood. My second question is am I making the appropriate connection between the activities and project to the overall content? I know that I am weak in this area, which is why I have decided to create a daily check-in exit slip of sorts. I would appreciate any other suggestions in these areas though!

Caitlin

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Caitlin

    I am really interested in the resource you mentioned in your blog. I looked it up and it looks quite interesting. Please let me know how you find it to be when you get it. I would like to find more resources to use for my project based class, and am intrigued by this one. Also, I have used the website http://www.bie.org/ as a resource for different projects. It has full lessons written by classroom teachers and organized by grade and subject. It also gives a short description of each unit and what cross-curricular link they can make. I think you might find it a helpful resource.

    Also, I really like your idea of have students create a lesson to deliver to a younger audience. I had my students write their own children’s books and then read them to a first grade class. It was great for my students to feel empowered as they took on the role of teacher. It also gave them a chance to take on the role of an author who needs to understand the concepts of plot, character, theme, as well as other literary elements. It so happened that the first grade class was just finishing learning about theme, and so they were to decipher the theme of my students’ books. It was a great experience for all involved.

    As for your issue with the scoring of the final products, one thing that some teachers at my school have done is assign different point values to the different options and then give the students a total number of points that they need to reach. The point values are set up so that if the student chooses a project that is more involved and difficult, they can meet the total number of points needed with that one project. If a student wants to do projects that are less involved and simpler, they might have to do two or three projects to meet the total points needed. This is a good way to offer options for students to display their understanding while still holding them accountable for their work and effort.

    As for your concerns about your students learning enough and making the connections to the content, I had the same concerns (and still do). However, I can say that I have seen an improvement in my students in a way that would not have occurred in a more traditional setting. As a colleague told my last year when I started moving to project based learning, allow yourself to be a first year teacher again. This is a brand new way of teaching and learning, so feel free to make mistakes and try new things. It is how we grow and learn.

    I wish you the best in all your endeavors.

    Tyler D. Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyler,

    I will certainly give a review once I start working with the new book. It's funny how much the older students enjoy working with the younger students. Even more so than that, how much the younger students look forward to working with the older students. As I said for Dr. Seuss' birthday, the older students read to various classes from K-2. Recently, one of the teachers made Irish potatoes as a thank you for those readers. The younger students were so happy to see the older students when they stopped by! I will also be having the older students create their own books, or at least that is the plan. At the end of the buddy program, I read a suggestion somewhere that the older students write childrens' books starring their buddy as the main character in the story. Then the younger student becomes the illustrator. Hoping it is a memorable experience for both groups!

    Thank you for your suggestion regarding the fair scoring. I really like the idea of assigning different numbers or scores to different projects. This allows me to continue to make meaningful projects and activities, but without becoming concerned about the fairness of it all.

    Thanks!

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caitlin,
    You are progressing very well on your game plan. It is great to read that you are working cross curricular. I have only been teaching three years and have found to have made my best connections through cross curricular projects. I have worked with the music department, art department, library, and other classes to work on projects. I have found this to benefit not only myself but the students greatly. Working with the other classes shows the admistration that you are a driven teacher who is willing to go above and beyond.

    The Dr Suess teaching project with your 8th graders sounds like a great way to get the students involved with the younger grades. having them teach will be a great learning experience for them. I have to say that working with the other classrooms really makes class fun. I teach technology or as i like to call it, wood shop and i have students who hear that we are working with other classes acutally want to join my class. We built the entire set for the drama club prodcution of "Annie" this year. It came out amazing and the community support was like none other. The community heard about our project working with the music department and donated all the materials needed for the play. Over 2000 dollars worth. Teaching in a small community has definitely been a great experience.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben,

    It certainly is extremely rewarding to have the support of the community. I think having that connection truly shows students how the classroom connects to the real world.

    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete