Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My GAME Plan

 It is obvious to me at this point that I need to make a more conscious effort to incorporate technology into my classroom, as well as in to my students' learning and lives. It is not so important that there is technology involved in every lesson that I create, but more important that technology is incorporated seamlessly into my classroom (Laureate Education, 2009). However, just saying that is a lot different from making the effort to actually accomplish it. Below, I have set forth my GAME plan (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009) for two technology standards that I feel will benefit my students the most right now.

 The first technology standard that I would like to work on is "develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to pursue their individual curiosities and become
active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress" (ISTE, 2008).

 My Goal is to incorporate more Choice Boards in to my classroom to allow students to choose their own process and products for learning the content and the curriculum. Within those Choice Boards, I will always include a free choice square, as well as several options that offer technology as a part of process, product, or both. Currently, I understand the use and purpose of Choice Boards, but need to open my mind regarding the creation of options. I am often not very creative when it comes to creating choices for students' activities, as I fall prey to the challenge of assigning what works for me as a student. I also need to address my urge to be the giver of information and become more of a facilitator. Any tips for keeping organized within the classroom and/or paperwork are greatly appreciated. For example, how do I grade twenty different products with fairness?

 In order to take Action,I need to model the different options that are being offered within a Choice Board. Furthermore, students need to understand what it means to be the leader of their own learning. I will use graphic organizers to help students track their own progress and information throughout a Choice Board assignment. Furthermore, I will have various checkpoints in which I will conference with students and discuss their questions, needs, and successes. I will also assess what needs my students have regarding the various technologies we might use and address those.

 To Monitor my progress, I will use students' progress. Are students struggling too much? Do I need to offer more guidance? What issues or challenges do I need to address through mini-lessons or directed instruction (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009)? What is the quality of the students' products? I will also use summative and standardized assessments to monitor my progress. I will use the reading level test that we use every semester, benchmark testing, and overall classroom grades. If these grades are not improving, I need to scale back and do a better job at helping students address their needs within the curriculum.

After completing one unit while using Choice Boards, I will Evaluate my GAME plan. First, I will survey my students on their opinions of the Choice Boards: did it help to choose your own process and product? Were you more vested in the outcome of your work? Did I do a quality job at modeling and guiding throughout the process? If Choice Boards are not successful, this does not mean that I need to give up on this standard, simply that I need to change my strategy at achieving it.

 The second technology standard that I would like to address is "participate in local and global learning communities to explore creative applications of technology to improve student learnings" (ISTE, 2008).

 My Goal is to complete one authentic cross-curricular project (with at least one other teacher or subject) by the end of the year. Too often, students believe that each subject stands along. In the real world, we know that this is not true. The first challenge that I need to address is getting together with another teacher and determining and figuring out the logistics of running a project like this, such as the timing, what work will happen where, the topic, the process and products that students will complete, and more. It is most important to me that this project does not feel forces, but flows naturally within the curriculum. It is key that I understand all expectations and information for all components of the project not just my requirements. Being on the same page with the other teachers is key to having a successful cross-curricular project. Any ideas for a first collaborative topic?

 To take Action, I need to create a plan with other teachers. Furthermore, I would like to complete a sample project first so that students are able to see a model and sample at every checkpoint rather than just explaining it to them. Again, organization is essential. I will provide students with many graphic organizers and tools in order to help them track their information and progress.

 I will Monitor my progress by conferencing with the other teacher. I will reflect with the other teacher at various points of the project in order to ensure that I am effectively working towards my goal. Students' work will also serve as an indicator to my progress. Have I provided students with enough information? Are students understanding the purpose and goal of the collaboration and the project? Are students experiencing success in their work or are they struggling? If students are struggling, I need to modify my plan in order to benefit them.

 My Evaluation will, again, come in part from the students. I will have students complete a survey as to whether or not they believed the collaboration and project was successful. Furthermore, I will ask the other teacher to critique my progress and success towards my goal. The students' scores and grades on their typical assessments will also guide my evaluation. Students need to be making progress towards their grade standards in order for this strategy to be worthwhile. If this method is successful, I would like to expand to collaboration with an outside resource of some kind.

 Any suggestions are greatly appreciated for content or method!

Caitlin

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NETS-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Libraries/PDFs/NETS_for_Teachers_2008_EN.sflb.ashx

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Enriching content area learning experiences with technology [Webcast]. Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD: Author.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Caitlin,
    I think that your idea of a cross-curricular project is great. I agree that students need to see that there is a lot of cross over throughout the different content and that what is learned in one can also be applied on another. I have completed two similar projects thus far in my project based learning English course. This class is specifically for juniors who have passed, usually barely, their sophomore English class but not the standardized state assessment. Because many of the students in this class also have to pass the state assessments in other course, I decided to try and incorporate content from other course into my curriculum. This way, students are learning the skills they need to know to be successful for my class as well as having the content from other courses reinforced for their benefit.

    The first of these projects centered on the American Dream and how it has changed throughout the years. Students were placed in small groups and given a decade from the 1900s to research. While they were researching different events and evaluating their impact on or indication of the American Dream, we were also reading different pieces of literature and non-fiction from the different periods and analyzing them for historical significance. Students then created a presentation to show their findings and we created a class timeline of the American Dream. Although this was not done in conjunction with a history class, I did discuss this project with a U.S. history teacher and we decided on the main events from each decade that the students would research. I wanted to make sure that these were not only the most important events of the time, but also that they were ones that routinely got covered in his class.

    The second project that I just finished with my students was in conjunction with a biology course. For this project, we did coordinate more, but it still resulted in students doing two different projects, one for each class. I talked to the teacher who teaches the biology equivalent to my course, and found out she was going to be starting a unit on genetic engineering soon. We decided that since about half of my students were also in her course, we would create projects that would build off of each other. For her project, students were to research that scientific aspects of genetic engineering and find out how it works. They took on the role of a genetic engineering clinic and were given genetic backgrounds for two parents and they had to create genetic options for their baby. For my class, they were not looking into how genetic engineering worked; instead, they researched the ethical debate surrounding the issue. Students were given specific aspects of the issue and a particular position. They then researched and developed a position essay on the topic. This information was then utilized in the formal debate that the students carried out. Both side for each particular topic had three students. They were given a certain amount of time each for their opening statements, then there was a question and answer period, and then closing arguments. The students really enjoyed participating in this format.

    One of the main things that I took away from this was that even if I cannot create a single project that will be developed through two or more content course, it is still possible to develop cross-curricular projects that enhance student learning. Whether it is building off of something the students are learning in another course at the time or harkening back to something they learned in a previous course, the students benefit when they realize that they can apply what they learn in a history or science class in their English class. Now, I just have to tackle math.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teddy,

      The American Dream project sounds awesome. I was wondering how motivated your students were given the fact that they had failed (or almost done so) in the previous year. Also, how much preparation and lessons did you have to do with your students in order to teach through the project?

      I also really enjoyed your format for the debate. I am always thinking about having my students participate in a debate because they love to argue, but we both know there is more to a debate than just arguing. Students need to understand both sides of the argument in order to address the evidence against their own side. When you did this activity did students choose their side in the topic or did you assign it? I am concerned that too many of my students would choose the same side.

      Thanks for your suggestions and good luck in your own endeavors!

      Caitlin

      Delete
    2. Hey Caitlin,
      Just to let you know, my students were not very motivated when they first came into my class. They know they failed the test and that is why they are in my class. I try to build them up by starting with projects that are fairly simple yet engaging. The first one I did this year was have students create a class dictionary of terms they commonly use. It was sort of like Urban Dictionary, so the students really enjoyed that aspect of it; however, students had to come up with definitions, parts of speech, etymologies, and sentences for each word, so they learned a lot through the process as well.

      As for the debate, I showed parts of an Intelligence Squared debate to show how it should go, and prepped the students with content through recent videos and news articles about the topic. As for the positions, I assigned them the position because I wanted to ensure that the teams were fair, and that there were students currently in the biology class on each team. I am glad you enjoyed my suggestions and I wish you the best of luck with your plans.

      Tyler D. Williams

      Delete
  2. I really like that for your evaluation you are taking a survey. This is a great way to see what students thought about a lesson. My only fear with surveys is that students do not fill them out appropriately. I have seen my students take surveys and just bubble in answers that they think are funny instead of actually taking the time to really answer the questions. Still, I think this is a great way to see students’ ideas of your lesson.
    As far as an idea for cross curriculum projects, I have one in mind. Every year, I have my students research a countries holiday traditions. I have 150 students, and they all have different countries. There is a list of country names in a bag and students pick one out of it. This makes choosing a topic suspenseful. The students have to research the county and tell basic facts about it. They show the flags, tell what language is spoken, show pictures, etc. This project is also done in our history and computer classes. So not only, does the project count as a grade for my language class, but it counts as a grade in those two subjects as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. India,

      Studying the different holidays around the world is a great idea. We did something similar around Winter Break, but not as in-depth. I really like having students choose from a grab bag. Thanks for the suggestion!

      Caitlin

      Delete
  3. Caitlin,

    I too, need to make a more conscious effort to implement more technology into my classroom. You said it well! Technology does not have to be in every lesson for every day. Math has always been so direct and my department is very old school. Everything is direct instruction for the most part. Most of that is due to our curriculum and we cannot stray from that. Everything is structured for the students to pass the state assessment. Maybe once the Common Core is implemented there will be more room to navigate and implement some technology. This is going to take a team effort and a lot of careful planning. I like your second GAME plan. Cross-curriculum is a great idea. Our school is incorporating this next year with an English teacher and a History teacher. The students of this class are going to be given laptops to keep for the year. I wish there was some way to incorporate Math in this way too. Your plan appears to be well thought out and once you start incorporating it and planning with another teacher, things may change and you will have a better idea of where you want to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason,

      I completely understand your dilemma. I have spoken to the math teacher various times about trying to incorporate technology as well as projects. It can prove difficult many times because if a student does not have the basic skills needed completing projects in context are almost impossible. Perhaps going forward you can find a way to involve your decision in the English/History project. Good luck!

      Caitlin

      Delete
  4. From Mary Baker to Caitlin:

    Caitlin

    Prensky (2008) states, "Today's kids grow up in the light. They're deeply immersed in it long before educators ever see them" (p.40). By focusing on developing technology enriched environment you will be bringing yourself into the light as well your students. It is a challenging task but I think that you have a great strategy laid out for you. When looking at your monitoring strategies I thought you could add another technological detail in to help you and your students organize their work. While I am not an expert at it, I am hoping to begin to use Google documents next year for homework assignments and electronic projects. This will allow the students to create a portfolio of their learning and decrease the amount of ink and paper used as well.

    When it comes to grading projects of a varying outcome you need to come up with a basic rubric which highlights the overall outcome you want to students to reach. You can look at content, creativity, grammar, use of technology and software, and participation. This simple rubric will allow the students to think outside of the box while keeping them grounded to a specific outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,

      Thanks for the rubric idea! I am always thinking so specifically about assignments that I often lost sight of the overall objectives that I want students to achieve.

      Caitlin

      Delete
  5. Caitlin-
    I completely agree with the point you made that technology must be incorporated into the classroom, but not forced. This is something that I think a lot of us forget. Many teachers feel the pressure to meet state standards that when it comes to implementing technology it is either thrown together with no thought or concern as to its benefit, or it is forgotten completely. This last and the last class that I took have both taught me that technology is something that should not be a struggle to implement, and if you work with your students, it is easy to find technology that works in the classroom. I have learned just as much about technology from my students as I have on my own. In fact, I plan on using some time this summer to do some further research into many of the technologies that I have been presented with this last year.

    I really like your idea of choice boards too. I have noticed with my students that when they are in charge of their own work, they take more pride in it and I usually end up with a better product. I am always surprised by what my students think up for an assignment. This semester I am allowing my students to step out of the norm when it comes to a book report. I have list of 50 alternatives to the book report and I let them look over the list and choose which ones they want to do. They have to get their decision approved by me, and some of the options are super easy, so they have to do two different ones, this is how I try to keep the grading aspect fair. I have a general rubric for the book report, but I also give points for creativity and effort put in. This does cause a little more work on your end at first, but if you save the rubric it can be used over and over again. I think you will really enjoy the products that you receive from your students. Maybe even having them do a quick journal write once a week or so to judge their comprehension and progress would be helpful for you.

    At our school our science, CWP and economic classes are work together on a project called Earth 911. I teach English so I do not know all the details, but I do know that they have to pick an environmental problem, research, do an experiment of some sort and then they present it to middle school students. This year was the first year that I had an opportunity to go and watch the presentations and they were great! It seems like a great experience for the students and I would really like to see if we could some how get the English students involved. Primarily just sophomores and seniors do this project, but it is a great way for students to realize that each subject does work together. As an English teacher I find myself constantly teaching history in my classroom and I would also like to work with an actual history teacher and teach a unit together. I feel that literature and history go hand-in-hand. When I taught the novel Night by Elie Weisel, we did a whole section on genocides and my students were commenting that they felt like they were in a history class-this was not said negatively!

    I really think you should look at our curriculum and try to work with another teacher. I think it would be fascinating. You could also try doing something with a teacher from another school. I know another person in our class, Jennifer R I think, is using e-Pal to communicate with a school in another country. That might be another great idea!

    Good luck! You have inspired me to look at more options now too!

    JenZ

    Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Enriching content area learning experiences with technology [Webcast]. Integratingtechnology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD: Author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JenZ,

      That is a great idea to have students complete book reports in different ways. How often do you have students complete book reports? When I first started teaching, I wanted them to complete two per month. When that didn't happen, I lowered to once per month. That still does not get completed. Perhaps if students are more interested in the product they are completing, they will be more prone to complete the assignment. Could you share some of the options that you use with your students?

      Just last semester I found the resource Rubistar (rubistar.4teachers.org) which helps you create rubrics. I love it! It makes it so easy to create the rubrics. I still struggle with what to focus the rubric on when I am assigning multiple products for one topic though. Mary pointed out that I need to stay focused on the objectives that I wanted students to achieve in their products.

      Thanks for your suggestions! Definitely helpful!

      Caitlin

      Delete