Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Resources and Information

 Beginning this GAME plan takes a lot of planning before any actual work with students is really done. In order for any lesson to be successful, planning is the most essential component of my plan.

 The resources that I will need are laptops for students with the proper technologies, graphic organizers for planning and completing the various checkpoints of the project, materials and resources for creating Choice Board options, and a general rubric that matches the outcomes expected from the project (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009). I also need to get myself and my classroom organized in such a manner that will be conducive with project-based learning. Students will need space to work with a laptop, as well as books all at once, and possibly meet in small groups at various points during the project. Lastly, I need to get organized with paperwork so that it is easy to track and help students in their progress and work.

 Before I begin to use Choice Boards and create a cross-curricular project with another teacher, I need to take some personal steps as the teacher and facilitator in order to help my students best. In order to be able to guide and model new technologies for my students, I need to have some training in them myself. Though I know a good amount about the ins and outs of Power Point, Excel, and a few other programs, there are other programs that I have not used before, such as Garage Band. I will either seek out other teachers (or even students), ask/visit with our regional technology director, and/or attend a training session through my district. Furthermore, I will begin to attempt to use the different programs and software independently to get used to the different aspects and components of the various programs.

 The other key aspect of my planning stage is that I need to choose and work with a fellow teacher to create and plan the cross-curricular project. As I mentioned in my previous post, I do not want to force this project. Therefore, we need to spend some time looking at both curricula in order to have the project make sense. We also need to plan the objectives of the project, the resources we need to make available, the deadlines and checkpoints that need to be put in place, and the general outline and expectations of the project as a whole. Furthermore, we need to be definitive in what both of our own roles will be within and throughout the project.

 My biggest weaknesses are organization and tracking. I tend to procrastinate with everything in my personal and professional life. I realize that this weakness does not mesh well with project-based learning. My procrastination also effects my organization. I would love any suggestions people have for how they are organized (especially during project-based learning). I am new to the idea of tailoring learning to individuals and there being so many different "lessons" going on at once, I would love to hear how other people make it work in their own classrooms!

Caitlin

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Caitlin,

    One thing that I do to organize my classes during Project Based Learning is to use small grouping (even if they are not working in a small group) to allow students to know what they should be working on for the day. I am lucky and have fairly small classes for my PBL classes, so I usually have about six groups of three students each in the class. For each project, I have a group component and an individual one. This allows me to have three groups working on the group portion in small group settings while the other three groups work on the individual portion by themselves, and then they switch for the next day. I will then check in with the small groups at the beginning of the block to make sure they know what their goals are for the day, and then try to meet with as many students one-on-one who are working on the individual portion. This allows me to see how each student is progressing on an individual level while students help each other comprehend the material in a small group setting. I hope this helps.

    Tyler D. Williams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tyler,

      I really like the idea of having both group and independent portions of each project. It forces each student to be responsible for their work rather than depend on one student in each group. How do you ensure that everyone is pulling their weight during the group portion? Also, do you spend more time working with the students during their independent time or group time?

      Is there any specific way you keep your paperwork and grading organized? I am an absolute procrastinator and often let that effect my classroom as well. I always have the best intentions regarding organizing my classroom, but once the school year begins, all of my ideas wind up just staying ideas. Any guidance would be awesome.

      Thanks for the suggestions!

      Caitlin

      Delete
  2. Caitlin,

    In order for you and your students groups to stay organized, I would recommend deadlines throughout the project. Each group should have a date to complete each portion of the final project. You could also set dates and times for you to meet with each group. The trouble I have come across is keeping with this schedule. Many groups need assistance at different times. I would suggest a general question session before you devote your time to each group. Then the students know they can ask questions, but that each group will have their own specific time to meet with you and check their progress.

    - Curt G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curt,

      I do find that whenever I have deadlines, I always wind up backing them up over and over again because of all of the "extras" that get in the way during a school day: random assemblies, testing, visitors, absences, and so on. Do you allow your timeline to be flexible? I also think having question and answer sessions would be useful. Another challenge I face is when I meet with students, I usually spend far too much time (although it is hard to say "too much time" when you are helping a student or group) with one student or group.

      Do you have any tips or suggestions for staying within the deadlines and checkpoint dates with paperwork? My classroom runs like clockwork when it comes to management (which is my strong suit). However, take one look at my desk and you'll know I am weak when it comes to my paperwork. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

      Thanks for your ideas!

      Caitlin

      Delete